Eating well is just one spoke in the wheel of health.
An active life, fresh air, good sleep, positive mental health, job satisfaction, joy, laughter, healthy relationships, caring for others and the earth, feeling connected and much more all matter too!
On the food side of things, most of us already know what healthy eating is and what to eat less of. What to eat more of and HOW to consistently, deliciously make it happen are much healthier and fun to focus on. Staying excited about food you make in your own kitchen is important, REALLY important! It’s time to simplify, be nourished and soar in all that matters most to you!
Patricia advocates an 80-20, no diet approach in which most choices are deliciously healthy (about 80%) but plenty of room is left for extra special indulgences. Healthy eating is FAR more than vitamins and minerals, counting macros or continually doing diet math. Although nutrition is an evolving science for which the headlines and influencers are quick to share, the best news of all is that a whole lot of what it takes to truly eat well has already been discovered and proven!!!
Throughout her career, Patricia has supported Canadians in achieving their well-being goals. A few highlights from her diverse work portfolio include:
- Founding Eating for Energy nutrition consulting in Vancouver, BC, Canada in 1995. The company continues to this day. Although no longer offering individual consultations, Patricia spent over 25 years assisting people in resolving their food and nutrition challenges and gained an intimate understanding of what it truly takes to live a healthy life.
- Speaking to over 2500 corporate, sport + community groups including numerous conference keynote addresses
- Enjoying over a decade as Senior Nutrition Consultant to SportMedBC advising athletes and coaches from little league to pro. Previously, nutritionist for the Vancouver Grizzlies NBA team, the Vancouver Whitecaps Soccer Club and a 5 year stint as instructor of the NCCP Level 5 Sport Nutrition course at the Coaching Institute of Canada.
- Uncomplicating the latest food news by providing expert comment to Yahoo, Canada.com, Huffington Post, Postmedia, The Globe and Mail, CTV, CBC National News, Global TV, Chatelaine, Canadian Living, the Vancouver Sun, The Province, CFAX radio and many other key media outlets
- Developing hundreds of delicious, original recipes using fresh, healthy ingredients
- Creating effective food and nutrition public relations campaigns
- Teaching cooking and food skills courses
- Writing and publishing 6 books including: The 101 Most Asked Nutrition Questions and The 80-20 Cookbook: Eating for Energy Without Deprivation, and contributing to several others
- Working behind the scenes and on camera for a major supermarket retailer where she gained tremendous insight into how and why food is sold the way it is and helped create an award-winning well-being initiative.
- Inventing an outstanding all-purpose gluten-free flour that actually works reliably in baking. (Before GF flour options were available everywhere.) It featured Canadian-grown bean flour and led to a CBC Dragon’s Den audition.
- Serving as a mentor to students and many prominent Canadian nutrition experts. Patricia was elected by her colleagues as Chair, Dietitians of Canada Board of Directors
- Travelling and touring many farms, food factories, food industry world headquarters and grocery stores throughout North America to better understand where food comes from and how it is marketed
- Being a busy hockey Mom, feeding the neighbourhood and having fun getting kids enthusiastic about yummy, healthy eating.
“In theory, healthy eating should actually be pretty easy. It’s less about discipline and more about choosing food that provides the fuel to leave you feeling great. It’s not about avoidance or micromanaging every morsel. Go ahead and eat cake or enjoy a glass of wine. Just be sure your actual needs are met. This includes the need to move with exercise!”
Patricia enjoys creating new recipes. Her specialty is delicious, healthy meals that can be made in 30 minutes or less. She’s thrilled to see the sparkle in her clients’ eyes and extra spring in their step when they figure out healthy living. She loves any opportunity to be creative, to connect over a great meal, spending time with her family, hanging out in the family blueberry orchard, and an active outdoor life enjoying nature’s simple, spectacular beauty!
She really is a country mouse in city mouse clothing! Read more here.